I got to host a panel tonight featuring the likes of Lishai Peel, Ian Keteku and Dwayne Morgan.
As you can imagine it’s a constant hustle to be an artist. How could it be done full time? We explored this reality based on the lived experiences of new and long-time full-time artists, Lishai, Ian and Dwayne.
We explored questions like:
- Who are you? How would you sum up what you do?
- What was the poem that helped kick-start your career?
- What piece reflects the cutting edge of your work?
- What was the landscape of shows, venues, communities and key people that helped you get started?
- What have been the challenges, the worst case scenarios you’ve faced?
- When was the first moment you glimpsed the possibility of being a full-time artist? How did you decide to go for it?
- How much do you make – or if you’d rather – what is the extent and impact of your work?
- What’s your secret?
The rich responses from Lishai, Ian and Dwayne informed, challenged and inspired many of us in the room.
It was an honour and a pleasure. Thanks Toronto Poetry Project (torontopoetryslam.com) for organizing this informative gathering!